Friday, February 29, 2008

FUN Update, February 29, 2008 - Making the Leap

Dear Friends,

I watched The Devil Wears Prada last night--chick flicks are the junk food of movies, and lately I've been on a bland diet of mediocre classic films--and the thing that drew my attention most was... the steak that Andy brings Miranda. It looked... amazing. Best-looking steak I've ever seen. So when I did my shopping today, I went to that little section of butchered red meat wrapped in white foam and saran wrap. I stay away from red meat except for ground beef--I love hamburgers, and neither concern for my health nor moral compunction has ever trumped that--but this time I strode with purpose to the rows of steaks. If such a steak as I had seen could be found here, I was determined not to miss it to save a dollar or two. I searched the labels for the highest price, and finally I found rib eye steaks for twelve bucks a pound, more than twice what the rest was selling for. Perfect. I threw twenty-dollars worth of meat on my cart, wondering how I was planning on eating three steaks before it went bad.

I cooked it up tonight with some mashed potatoes and garlic toast. It was... not bad. I mean, it was good. But not $12/lb good. It wasn't exceptionally juicy or particularly flavorful. Disappointment is too strong a word, but I won't be buying any more steaks. My red-meat quota will continue to be met by the occasional burger. Perhaps it's for the best.

I sure needed the protein, though. I was in the climbing competition tonight, and it could not have gone worse without breaking something. Halfway through, my right forearm went AWOL and I couldn't pull off a hand-foot match with a heel hook to save my life--a technique that just happened to be used on at least two of the routes I was trying to get. ...Frustrating. I did, however, have an epiphany while climbing a particularly troublesome route on an overhang.

I was half-way through the route, and I had made my way through the initial difficult section to a solid hold with decent footing. The next move was a long reach to a poor hold several feet to the left, and the chances of recovery from a failed attempt were pretty slim. I waited there for a few seconds, weighing my options and basically stalling, then suddenly realized that I felt very comfortable where I was. In fact, I felt so good about the hold I was on, why even move? Of course, there's not much purpose or direction to hanging around in the middle of a route, but at least I wouldn't topple off the wall in an uncontrolled fall in front of twenty onlookers.

I found a high foot, extended my body to the left, and dropped solidly into the crimp. It was a perfect move. A balance-y foot switch, a high mantle, and the route was done. Full points. I dropped down and moved on. But in retrospect, the moment seems very symbolic: I feel very comfortable in my life right now, but I'm not really going anywhere. It's probably time to take the move.

So I'm starting to take a few risks. I'm thinking about going back to school in the Fall. I've submitted a manuscript of poetry to be considered for publication. I'm looking into finally recording that CD of piano music I've always meant to make. We'll see what happens. I am, however, sure of one thing: succeed or fail, it's bound to be interesting.

------

See pictures of my apartment and of work. (Look for the album labeled "Apt #1614" and "Poker Room," respectively.)

View the FUN Archives.You can contact me by replying to this e-mail. To send letters or packages, use the following address:

Dan Kaschel
4747 W Waters Ave., Apt #1614
Tampa, FL 33614

My phone number is 813-313-6573.

Peace,

Dan

No comments: